AN INTERVIEW WITH COLLEEN HOOVER , AUTHOR OF 'SLAMMED' AND 'HOPELESS'


Colleen Hoover

1) THANS FOR VISITING, COLLEEN! THERE ARE SO MANY QUESTIONS WE WISH WE COULD ASK YOU. 
NEW ADULT IS ONE OF THE HOTTEST ROMANTIC SUB-GENRES AT PRESENT. WHAT'S THE REASON OF ITS RISING POPULARITY?
I think it's because this was really an untapped market in the past. Until recently, publishers weren't really buying romance novels about people between the ages of 18-24, because they didn't think those kinds of books sold well. Turns out they do!

2)WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO WRITE NEW ADULT  STORIES? WHAT DO YOU LIKE OF THE GENRE?
I had never read a romance novel before I wrote Slammed. I just wrote what I wanted to write, and I had no idea what genre it was. After I self-published, I was told it was YA. I just continued to write similar kinds of stories, and my newer ones fall into the NA category. 

3)THERE ARE MANY READERS HERE WHO WONDER ABOUT THE DIFFERENECE BETWEEN A NEW ADULT AND AN ORDINARY CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE.  WHAT’S  THE  MAIN PECULARITY OF THAT SORT OF BOOKS? THE AGE OF THE CHARACTERS?
I think the age has a lot to do with it, but it's also the content. For example, the characters in Slammed and Hopeless are the same age, but Slammed is considered to be YA, and Hopeless is NA. This is because the content in Hopeless is more mature and not appropriate for all ages. 

 4) DO YOU THINK ‘MATURITY’  IS JUST A MATTER OF WHEN SOMEONE WAS BORN OR IT’S  THE EXPERIENCES THAT MAKE A BOY/GIRL OF AGE?
I think maturity definitely depends on a person's experiences. Two people of the same age and gender can differ vastly in their levels of maturity depending on what their life has been like. 

5) WHICH FEATURES SHOULD A N/A BOOK HAVE TO HOOK THE READERS ?
Like I said, I don't really try to fit the NA genre when I write my books, they just tend to fall there. Because of this, I don't put a lot of thought into what elements make up a good NA book. I always recommend to other authors that the best thing they can do is stay true to themselves and not try to please others. Readers can sense whether or not a book is genuine.
6) IN ALMOST ALL N/A BOOKS  THE EMOTIONAL DISTRESS  OF THE CHARACTERS IS CENTRAL TO THE PLOT  . DO YOU THINK  A TRAGIC STORY IS AN ESSENTIAL FEATURE FOR A GOOD  N/A BOOK? I don't think it has to be tragic, but it helps. Most NA books feature characters who have to deal with really intense issues. 

7)HAVE YOU EVER FELT UNCOMFORTABLE WHEN WRITING A PARTICULAR  SCENE /SITUATION  DUE TO THE YOUNG AGE OF THE  CHARACTERS?
Personally, I haven't.

8) DO YOU THINK  N/A IS A GENRE THAT MAY BE APPRECIATED BY DIFFERENT KINDS OF READERS ? IS THERE ANYBODY YOU WOULDN’T RECOMMEND IT TO?
I think N/A is a great genre because it really appeals to a wide audience. Young people love them and relate to them because they're at that same age in life, and older people relate to them because they either remember what young love was like or they've had emotional struggles in life and they can relate to those of the characters. 

9)I’VE NOTICED N/A STORIES ARE USUALLY TOLD IN THE FIRST PERSON. WOULD THEY HAVE THE SAME INTENSITY IF THEY WERE WRITTEN  IN THE THIRD PERSON?
I think stories written in the third person tend to appeal to different audiences, but that doesn't mean they can't be just as intense. They're just different. When the story is told in first person, it's like a very candid inner monologue and you have access to certain thoughts that you wouldn't otherwise get to read. 

10) IS THERE A STORY YOU WANT TO TELL BUT THAT YOU HAVEN’T WRITTEN YET?
I have a lot of stories lined up. I just have to decide which one to write next!

WE THANK COOLEEN FOR VISITING US AND HOPE TO READ HER NEW BOOKS IN ITALIAN VERY SOON.

BOOKS BY COLLEEN HOOVER

This Girl, August 2013

Slammed #3
Trade Size
Losing Hope, July 2013
Paperback
Hopeless, May 2013
Paperback
Slammed, September 2012
Trade Size
Point of Retreat, September 2012
Paperback



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

I VOSTRI COMMENTI ARRICCHISCONO IL BLOG! GRAZIE. (Se li lasciate ricordatevi di firmarli, ci piace sapere chi siete!)
I commenti contenenti offese o un linguaggio scurrile verranno cancellati.


I RACCONTI RS SELEZIONATI DAL BLOG ORA IN EBOOK!

Questo blog non rappresenta una testata giornalistica in quanto viene aggiornato senza alcuna periodicità. Non può pertanto considerarsi un prodotto editoriale ai sensi della legge n. 62 del 7.03.2001.

I contenuti e le immagini sono stati utilizzati senza scopo di lucro ai soli fini divulgativi ed appartengono ai loro proprietari. Pertanto la loro pubblicazione totale o parziale non intende violare alcun copyright e non avviene a scopo di lucro. Qualora i rispettivi Autori si sentano lesi nei propri diritti, sono pregati di contattarmi e in seguito provvederò a rimuovere il materiale in questione.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

VENITECI A TROVARE SU FACEBOOK

VENITECI A TROVARE SU FACEBOOK
Clicca sull'immagine e vai alla nostra pagina FB

NOI CON VOI...GUARDA IL VIDEO!